A beautiful smile builds confidence and gives you a boost to better interact with the world. Losing a tooth due to decay, time, or an accident is a traumatic experience that reduces self-confidence and creates discomfort. If this happens to you, don’t waste time hiding a toothless smile or suffer through difficulty eating your meals. With dental implants, we give you a practical and permanent solution to this age-old problem.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is essentially a durable titanium screw which mimics the natural root of your tooth. For more than half a century, orthopedic surgeons used titanium screws for joint reconstruction and bone fracture repairs, which in turn inspired their use by dentists. Your dental implant process takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months, depending on the location and number of implants needed. Your dental implant will feel and look completely natural as if you never lost a tooth.
What Is the Tooth Implant Procedure?
The process starts when we welcome you into our office for a consultation to determine if you are a candidate for this procedure. Implants are best suited for missing, extracted, or hopeless and terminal teeth. Also, in some cases, if we need additional retention for removable/fixed appliances.
During your consultation, you can expect the following steps:
- We examine the health of your gums, medical history, and density of the jaw bone to ensure you are a dental implant candidate by utilizing 2D & 3D imaging and all the supporting photos and xrays. When you are approved for the procedure, we schedule the next earliest day for you to begin the process.
- During your first visit, we make sure you are entirely comfortable and at ease before we place the implants.
- Once the dental implants have healed, we use the appropriate implant related accessories to creat a customized crown which is screwed into your implant or cemented to the implant via an adaptor called an abutment. This is achieved by taking impressions of the implants post healing and capturing the shape of the implant and the soft gingival tissue around it for the optimal fit of the final crown.
Are There Same-Day Dental Implants?
In some cases, you can’t wait several months for the completion of your implant. We provide same-day dental implants if you are a qualifying candidate. With this option, the implant is placed, and the temporary crown is delivered in a single one day step. Many prefer the speed and convenience of the same-day option. The same-day option allows for no interruption in the appearance of your smile. We want to help you find the procedure that works best for your lifestyle, so we go over all the relevant details during your first consultation.
What Are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
Aside from giving you back your beautiful smile; dental implants help protect the integrity of your bite. When you lose a tooth, the surrounding teeth naturally start to migrate into the space. This movement throws off your bite leading to headaches, pain while chewing, and other issues. Your jawbone can even begin to atrophy or waste away when back molars are missing. Dental implants have the advantage of stopping crowding and atrophy from happening, giving you a full smile and a healthy mouth.
Are Dental Implants Better Than Removable Appliances?
Dental implants offer key advantages compared to other treatments for missing teeth. Removable partial dentures can interrupt your daily life since you have to take them in and out of your mouth when eating or sleeping. Dental implants are fixed and feel exactly like your natural teeth. They allow you to eat comfortably without any moving around, popping out, or just feeling unnatural. Dental implants also give you the freedom to speak clearly without speech and phonetic restrictions which removable dentures can cause.
In some instances, we use implants attached to dentures for patients who have multiple missing teeth and want to maximize the use of their removable, partial, or complete denture without adhesives. We place the implants under dentures, so they are easily and comfortably snapped onto the removable piece.
Dental implants are not just for a single missing tooth. Dental implants are an option for patients missing multiple or all of their teeth. Our technology allows us to create a hybrid implant supported dental fixed bridge so the patient can eat whatever their heart desires and function as if they still have their natural teeth in place.
Dental Implant Reconstruction: Teeth in a Day or Implant Support Hybrid Bridge
If you have decayed or missing teeth, a reconstruction case allows you to regain function and aesthetics in one visit. If we see the majority—if not all— of your teeth are in a terminal state, we plan a dental implant reconstruction surgery that involves the following:
- Dental implant reconstruction should be a pain-free procedure. We use sedation, so you remain as comfortable as possible during your visit.
- Our process allows us to efficiently remove any teeth that are decayed beyond repair and clean and prepare the area of your missing teeth. This gives you a fresh start for your brand-new implants.
- We place multiple implants on each jaw and make sure they are securely and strongly placed by torqueing them in.
- The last step involves putting in a fixed temporary bridge for you to walk out with fixed teeth in your mouth after your reconstruction or teeth in a day surgery has been finished.
- You can expect a few check up appointments to ensure the strength of the implants. Once the implants are fully engaged in the bone after 3-4 months, the temporary bridge is replaced with a beautiful permanent one. From this moment on you can treat the bridge like your own teeth. Your bridge, teeth, and gums are cleaned once or twice a year. In this annual check up we make sure to analyze the health and stability of the implant. We make sure the bridge teeth and the function of the overall prosthesis is in excellent condition.
Unlike a removable, partial, or complete denture, this is a bridge placed in your mouth permanently. This bridge allows you to function like you would with your natural teeth. Implant reconstruction is an excellent option if you don’t want to deal with wearing a denture or handle the healing process.
The utilization of new technologies such as guided surgery, milled restorations, and advanced surgical techniques, allow us to give you more feasible options to fit your lifestyle.
Are Dental Implants Better Than Bridges?
Some people opt for a bridge instead of implants. However, if the bridge is not anchored to implants, it has to be anchored to existing teeth. This process involves shaving down the enamel on the teeth to fit the new bridge. Dental implants can fit perfectly into the gum and jaw, meaning there is no effect on the surrounding teeth. The procedure is minimally invasive on your adjacent teeth which is a benefit to many patients.
Do Dental Implants Look Natural?
Dental implants look completely natural and fit in beautifully with the rest of your teeth. We use our artistry skills to give you a close replica to the teeth you’re missing- not create noticeably false ones in their place. We construct a mold of your mouth or use 3D imaging software to form an exact model of your teeth. We also allow you to opt for customizations to make your implants look even more natural and fitting for you. We go beyond studying your surrounding teeth to make sure your implants blend in seamlessly. We examine your gum contour, shape, shade, and overall bite to make sure everything feels natural and your new implants are flawless.
A gorgeous smile is essential for your spirit and overall excellent oral health. If you’re missing a tooth, you deserve the chance to have it fixed. We welcome you into our office to discuss your options and see how we can help return your smile and confidence. Contact us today at 404-400-0400 or www.buckheaddentistry.com to explore dental implants to bring you life-changing results.